Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Happy Birthday, Baker!

I'm finally downloading the pictures from Baker's birthday and getting his birth story written. It's almost been 3 weeks since his birth, so I don't think that's too long. I'd better get it written before I start forgetting details!

After our false alarm on Sunday, I was a little bummed. But, I kept telling myself that if we had ended up staying at the hospital, I wouldn't have had the kind of labor I wanted. I can't imagine laboring all day in the hospital! Wednesday evening I had my prenatal fitness class. I experienced one or two contractions while working out, but they were nothing exciting. I had a few more after I got home and got the boys ready for bed, but they were so irregular.

Sullivan woke up several times that night, which is not out of the norm for him. Every time he would wake up and I had to get up and go in his room, I would have a contraction. They weren't exactly painful, but I felt them! After he woke up around 3 AM, I couldn't go back to sleep because I was having contractions slightly more often and coming at regular intervals. When they got to the point that I had to start breathing through them because they were increasing in intensity, I started timing them. They were every 7-10 minutes. I knew that Nellie would be home around 4-430, so I wasn't worried about calling him to rush home.

When he got home from work, I was going to the bathroom. He asked what I was doing, and I said "going to the bathroom. Oh, and timing my contractions. " Poor guy-he had so been looking forward to going to bed! He asked if he had time to take a quick shower, and I said yes, because they were still about 7 minutes apart, and I needed to finish getting ready, too. He texted my mom to let her know what was going on. While he was in the shower, I was doing my hair and makeup (because these photos are going to be around forever-I wanted to look nice!). My contractions started increasing in frequency (about every 5 minutes) and intensity, so much so that I would have to stop what I was doing and rock back and forth and breathe to get through them.

We went downstairs (we're living with my parents while renovating our new house), and Mom was getting breakfast ready so she could get the boys up and meet us at the hospital. I told her I hoped it wasn't another false alarm, and she said that she didn't think it was. We got in the car a little after 445 (I think) and headed to the hospital. I was breathing through pretty painful contractions that were coming every 3-5 minutes at that point, so Nellie was really rushing to get to the hospital. Well...we got pulled over for speeding around Wolfchase! Thankfully, the police officer walked up the window, Nellie said "I know I'm speeding but my wife is in labor". and the officer was nice enough to let us go. Still, we managed to catch just about every red light on Germantown Road! I wasn't really able to talk while I was contracting, so Nellie was rushing! He asked if he needed to drop me off at the door, but I thought I could walk, so he parked the car. We got out and started walking to Labor and Delivery-I was hit with another contraction that made me hunch over and I felt my first urge to push. I knew that this was not a good sign at that point-needing to push and not even in the hospital! He was cursing my stubbornness at this point in time!

We made it inside and I managed to walk to the registration desk. We got checked in and waited for a nurse to come take us back to a room. I couldn't sit down at this point; I was too busy trying to breathe and rock back and forth in an effort to alleviate some of the pain and pressure from my contractions. I was breathing quite loudly, and I was glad the waiting room was empty! I kept saying (over and over again) "Jesus, Jesus". I was so hot and flushed, and I was shaking. Looking back, I was going through transition. I felt like it took 10 minutes for the nurse to come get us, but I think it was more like 5 minutes maybe. While we were still waiting, I felt a stronger urge to push, and I told Nellie that. I like to freak him out...

The nurse came to get us, but I was unable to walk at this point, so she had to go in search of a wheelchair. Again, it felt like it took her forever, but in reality it probably didn't. She got me situated in the wheelchair, and I was sitting on the edge-it was too uncomfortable and painful to really sit. She was asking me what baby this was for me, and how dilated I had been at my last appointment. I told her I was feeling the urge to push. We passed a tech in the hallway on the way to our room, and she saw me and asked "what number baby is this for her?". She could tell this was going to go quickly! We got to our room and the nurse told me to get undressed so she could check me. I had to ride out another contraction, and I felt a drop of fluid come out ( I thought-I either just peed a little or my water is starting to break) and then quickly stripped and got on the bed (which was not comfortable to do!). She checked me and didn't say anything, but she immediately left the room and I heard her say that I was complete (that means ready to push). I had gotten back off the bed and was rocking back and forth.

Nellie asked me later, "Did you see how many people came rushing into the room?!". I wasn't paying any attention, but I think at least 10 people came in and started getting ready for delivery. I squatted beside the bed in an attempt to alleviate some pressure, and my water broke. The pressure was much more manageable after that! Right after my water broke, everyone started telling me to get on the bed! The hospitalist rushed in, they were trying to start an IV while I was pushing, and telling me to slow down my breathing. They told me to not push (because they weren't ready yet), and I was thinking, "if I want to push, I am!". I started pushing and I think I pushed twice before his head was out, which made me feel so much better! Out he came, and they said "Dad, what is it?". Another boy! We were so thrilled, and I was so relieved that it was over!

It was an extremely intense and quick labor. About 3 hours of labor total, and we were at the hospital for 20 minutes from door to delivery. Nellie said if we have another one, it's going to be born in the car! My mom was texting him to let him know that they were on their way to the hospital and asking how things were going, and he replied "well, I'm holding the baby." She said "what?! I'm going to kill her!" (she was terrified that I was going to deliver at home!). The longest and most difficult part was getting stitched up after delivery. Painful. And that's all I'm saying about that.

Baker Mark Nelson, born at 0536 on August 27, weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces; he was my biggest baby! He was 19 and 1/2 inches long. All of my siblings were able to stop by before work and meet our newest addition.

I look back on how crazy the whole situation was, and I'm so thankful that God was in the details. If the officer had given us a ticket, if we still lived in our former house, if we had to wake the boys up and take them to my parents...any of those situations, and we more than  likely would have had a baby in the car. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but things would have been a little more crazy and hectic than they already were. I know that Baker's birth story will be one that I'll always remember!

It's a BOY! Baker Mark Nelson was in a huge rush to make his appearance in the world.





At 6 pounds 11 ounces, Baker was my biggest baby!

His little head was perfectly round. One of the perks of hardly spending any time in the birth canal!


Dr. Cyrus, the hospitalist who delivered Baker. We're so thankful that she was there to catch our boy!

Dr. Moore, the on call doctor from my OBGYN. She arrived in time to finish stitching me up. She was so sweet and prayed a prayer of blessing over all of us, which was incredibly touching.



already so enamored with their new baby

The boys took blue balloons out to the waiting room to announce what our new baby was. Daddy stuffed them under their shirts so it wouldn't be immediately obvious.


Bleu balloon means another BOY!

One of the perks of having a baby at 0536 in the morning? All of your family can swing by to meet your new baby before going to work!



Happy anniversary YaYa and Pops! Baker was born on their 33rd wedding anniversary.

 
I'm officially outnumbered and I love it!

These boys have my heart.


1 comment:


  1. Everybody does not purchase an expensive DSLR blur camera to capture/snap the auto blur image. But don’t worry we solve this problem freely.
    Our team makes a Blur Background - Blur image app for blurry photoblur.
    After using this Blur background Photo Editor App you will make your photos similar to like capture with a DSLR camera.

    ReplyDelete