Sunday, September 4, 2011

What's in A Name??

Lots of people are interested in how we came up with Fisher's name, so I thought I'd share it with you. So thoughtful of me :). First of all, it took us FOREVER to come up with a name for him. We could not agree on anything-I would say a name, and Hubs wouldn't like it, so I would put it out of my mind. Then, a few days later he would say that maybe he liked it, but I had already moved on to something else! Talk about frustrating for both of us!!

We were 30 something weeks into our pregnancy, and knew we needed to come up with a name! I was on Facebook one night at work (shhh! don't tell) and saw someone's name (no idea who he is)-his last name was Fisher. I immediately loved it and thought it would make a great first name. I came home and presented it-Nellie didn't like it. But, he said to give him a few days to think about it. In the end, he ended up loving it as much as I did!

Reasons why we picked Fisher:
1. We wanted a name that was different. Not weird, but different. I don't want my child to be the fourth kid in his class with the same name.
2. It's Biblical. In Matthew, Jesus talks about making his disciples fishers of men. I love that Fisher's name can be connected back to that and serve as a reminder of winning others for Christ.

Now, on to his middle name.
Reasons why we picked David:
1. It's my dad's first name, and it was his dad's name. Although my dad doesn't go by David, it's still special to us.
2. Again, it's Biblical. David was a man after God's own heart. Was he perfect? No! He committed murder. However, his story is incredible-he defeated a giant with a slingshot, and, although he did many wrong things, he loved God. It's a great example of God's provision and His love for us no matter what.
3. It means "beloved". I just love the thought of being one of God's beloved children and being reminded of it on a daily basis!

We just love our Fisher David!!
And now that Fisher's here, we couldn't imagine him being anyone other than Fisher. We feel like it suits him perfectly! We love our little man!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment