Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fisher's Birthday

If you've read my earlier posts, you know that I had been in labor for a few days, and had even made a trip to the hospital. Monday morning we had a followup appointment at the OB, and I was still at 6 cm and contracting irregularly. I got the go ahead to go back to work, and prepared myself for what might be a few more weeks of no change. Tuesday I ran some errands and went to the dentist. I started feeling my contractions a little more, but it was still nothing painful. We had Mexican for dinner and I did a few squats in the shower, hoping it might speed things along. :) Wednesday morning I woke up around 4am, feeling my contractions more strongly. I attempted to go back to sleep, but wasn't very successful.

Around 530, I decided to take a bath and time my contractions. They were around 5 minutes apart, and I knew we would probably be having a baby that day. I met Hubs at the door when he got home from work at 6am, and we timed my contractions again. They were now 2-5 minutes apart. We called my mom to let her know that we would be going to the hospital, and we got our stuff ready to go. The car ride to the hospital was not the most pleasant! Hurting and not being able to move around=not much fun!

We got to the hospital around 8am and got checked in. It took them about 15 or 20 minutes to get us a room-they were packed! Having contractions in the waiting room is not much fun either! We got settled in and the nurse checked me around 845-I was 7.5 cm and 90% effaced. Officially having a baby today! She got my IV started and my antibiotics started infusing. We then got moved to a delivery room.

Around 10am, I got my epidural, which was not terrible at all, and I was feeling pretty good. I felt fluid leaking, so I said I'm either peeing on myself or my water just broke. It was my water breaking! I was now 8 cm dilated. At 11am, I was 9 cm, and knew that delivery was getting closer! By 1245, I was 10 cm and 100% effaced-time to have a baby! My second dose of antibiotics was in, so we were good to go.

I started pushing around 1pm, and ended up delivering at 1409 (209 pm). We were all surprised that it took that long to push, but it turned out that the baby's head was not exactly straight in the birth canal, so a lot of my pushing was ineffective. They also started Pitocin while I was pushing because my contractions were irregular. Pushing is hard work, but so worth it! Fisher was born at 1409, and he had a nuchal cord (cord wrapped around his neck). He was ok, though!

Dr. Pilgrim (my OB) held up the baby and asked Hubs what it was. It was a BOY!! I had thought girl all along, so I was very surprised! But, I couldn't be happier, and of course was crying like a baby. :)

We had a wonderful labor and birthing experience and I treasure every memory from that day. Here are some pictures of Fisher's birthday! :)

Ready to go!

Family visiting

sounds like a good plan to me!

last picture as a family of 2

he's here!

meeting my baby for the first time



Daddy and Fisher

Dr. Pilgrim and Fisher

looking him over

now a family of three!

No comments:

Post a Comment